A Mod Usage

Stuff I could do better as an admin. Be specific, include links to instructions if possible.
catt12345678

A Mod Usage

Post by catt12345678 »

Hello to whoever reads this post. The mod I am referring to in the title is called "World Downloader". (Note: a mod, when I asked about using this, said to post it in the forums.) The link is here, but I can summarize. (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/333 ... ownloader/)

The Mod itself:
The mod, with a press of the escape key and a couple of clicks, begins to download whatever map you are on. It starts on the place in which you pressed the download button, and as you
move about the map, the map is downloaded into a single player world for your use.

Why I want to use it
I would like to use this for single player for several different reasons. First off, I could go in creative mode to work with my town and do different ideas with roads, new buildings, plots, projects, etc. Second, if something happened to the SMP map (unlikely, but better to be prepared than not) I could still have CattVille. 3rd off, if my internet ever went down, I could still just load up the map and play in CattVille.

Conclusion
Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and I completely understand if you disagree with the use of this mod. I understand that some people would probably dig for :orediamond: in creative singleplayer using this, but not me. (Personally, I feel digging and taking down coordinates is horribly boring and extremely unnecessary to do.) Thanks
for your consideration.
A Loyal Novylen Player
(Sean) catt12345678
Traestaree

Re: A Mod Usage

Post by Traestaree »

its dangerous in the wrong hands, and takes out half the fun of building. it also gives u a distinct edge in town building/selling
dragslayar

Post by dragslayar »

you could use it to locate ores. so I'd say it's silly. but is there really anyway to prevent the usage of this mod? :/
Hey guys! Click this! If you like Dawn of War I make maps for it and post stuff about it there!
http://blackarkgames.blogspot.com/
Even if you don't, click it!
MrEpiclegendzz

Post by MrEpiclegendzz »

I don't like this. People can just steal maps and use it for their server >_>
Some people like to watch the world burn, I'm one of those people.
rbos

Post by rbos »

Ordinary xray detection would catch it if it's used to find ores. Our detection is partly based around people getting too lucky, digging straight to ores, that kind of thing. They wouldn't get away with it for long, whether they use a downloaded map, seed generation prediction, or xray. Same thing, really.

That said, I don't really want people downloading the map, but I can't do anything about it; there's no way to tell or prove that someone's doing it unless they admit such. I won't ban for it.
catt12345678

Post by catt12345678 »

Ok rob, I won't do it. I just wanted to know if you were ok with it, and you really aren't. Thanks for responding! Catt (Sean)
Pachua

Post by Pachua »

Went ahead and snatched this mod. I don't have to ask you for schematics anymore when I can just get close to the object, download, and turn it into a schematic with MCEdit. Went ahead and logged into a few other servers to download my stuff.

Thanks Catt, this is useful.
rbos

Post by rbos »

Nice, clever use of the tool.