MNTC - Minecraft.Novylen Trade Commission

General minecraft-related chat.
jlcresp

MNTC - Minecraft.Novylen Trade Commission

Post by jlcresp »

Minecraft is yet to implement an easy currency system and for trades we are limited to a primitive bartering system. Though it is reasonably easy for each of us to gather the resources that we want as we see fit, it is arduous and time consuming to perform a certain task if you are not that good at it. Long story short, we all have our own skill sets. Some of us, AKA Reini, are epic builders and architects. Others are very good at mining, agriculture etc... This is the basis for real world economies.

As there is no set unit of currency at this stage, I propose that work out, on points, how much each block is worth relative to each other and use this information to guide what is and isn't acceptable trade. For example, say that dirt has a MNTC value of 1. Assuming diamond has a MNTC value of 1024, an appropriate trade of the two would be approximately 16 stacks ( 16 * 64 = 1024 ) of dirt for 1 diamond. Keeping in mind that these are arbitrary figures to show a concept. Diamond, once duping has been averted, will be incredibly valuable, especially once tool life spans are handled server side and we cant drop/pick up our tools to reset their usage.

Additionally, an exchange point could be setup whereby players can, similarly to a bank, deposit any items they like in exchange for MNTC points. These points can then be exchanged for other goods. A glaring problem that many may be quick to point out is: if someone floods the exchange with low value resources, and takes all the high value resources, to the point where there is very little of, or none of, the higher value resources, what will happen to the system? The answer is simple, supply and demand. As the amount of a specific resource held by the MNTC increases, in order to promote the exchange of other goods, the resource in question will devalue, and the higher valued resources, of which there are less of, will increase in value relative to the decrease in the value of the other resource.

On the other hand, the MNTC could restrict the exchange of certain goods, eg dirt, so that dirt is not held by the MNTC.

Points issued to a player in exchange for goods could be tracked via a variety of methods, including a spreadsheet (effective, but limited to one person running the show) or an SQL database held on this server where the people in control of the MNTC can allocate/subtract points to each player. The login could be linked to the forum login, and potentially, a plugin could be written for minecraft to display prices and balances in game.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this. I know it is a reasonably advanced system to implement and would require cooperation among us all. if we could get a system nutted out (or at least pricing values) then when our tools are no longer infinite, and things are harder to come by, we will be able to survive the turmoil rather than losing a heap of people from the server because they can no longer get the resources they need. If currency is implemented, we will have the prices already established and can smoothly transition without the vast majority of the server's wealth being held by select few individuals.

Think it over.
bill753

Re: MNTC - Minecraft.Novylen Trade Commission

Post by bill753 »

Sounds good, but wouldn't it require someone to design a plugin for it to work?
kleril

Post by kleril »

Wow.This is a fantastic idea. Someone do this. Please.
jlcresp

Post by jlcresp »

bill753 wrote:Sounds good, but wouldn't it require someone to design a plugin for it to work?
If the resource exchange was widely implemented, and we wanted an automated system, then probably yes, it would need one.

If it was narrowly implemented, say for just a certain group, it would be possible to function without needing a plugin.

However, there is nothing at all preventing the immediate development of exchange prices.

Additionally, services could be offered, such as flattening an area, and points exchanged between players.
kleril wrote:Wow.This is a fantastic idea. Someone do this. Please.
I'm currently building a port city, which consists at this stage of the main port building and a lighthouse. I'll be constructing a deposit room and warehouse storage with it as well. I'm also putting trading rooms for use by other players in there. Perhaps I could get a warp setup to go there and a cuboid to protect it and we could get a small scale trial going.
Dr_Obvious

Post by Dr_Obvious »

You know...the people on this server are crazy. And not in the bad way. These people strive for making a better future for the server. In real life, If your this good with ideas, and just sit around at your computer all day or have a low life job as a part time worker at the local McDonalds than you MUST get out and GIVE THE WOLD YOUR IDEAS!!!! Dont keep em just for minecraft!! Expand em to anouther game, or a irl community!

PS I forgot what i wanted to post so i just wrote an inspirational speach :)
Is this a signature, OR A HUGE CHEESY TACO :D

jlcresp

Post by jlcresp »

Dr_Obvious wrote:You know...the people on this server are crazy. And not in the bad way. These people strive for making a better future for the server. In real life, If your this good with ideas, and just sit around at your computer all day or have a low life job as a part time worker at the local McDonalds than you MUST get out and GIVE THE WOLD YOUR IDEAS!!!! Dont keep em just for minecraft!! Expand em to anouther game, or a irl community!

PS I forgot what i wanted to post so i just wrote an inspirational speach :)
Lul, I have just started a small IT business constructing webpages and internet-based software. I am currently creating a browser-based game like none other on the internet. I have worked as a tax accountant for 2 years and have almost finished a bachelor of accounting and additionally am completing a bachelor of IT. Granted, rbos is still far better than I am with internet tech, but I'm getting there. Rbos is lthe Chuck Norris of computing.

Minecraft helps me relax. :D