2nd Server [RPG]

Stuff I could do better as an admin. Be specific, include links to instructions if possible.
Dee

2nd Server [RPG]

Post by Dee »

my ideas for it (if it happens)
there would be three nations,
and each nation would get a city, and two towns. the city would have more people and have a larger area (obviously)
while the towns would be small (third the size).
this would make each town be populated enough, while also having a bit of dram between the nations (Allies, Under The Table, etc.)
tell me anything i missed. :D

p.s. Dr_Obvious gets his own city :?
Dr_Obvious

Re: 2nd Server [RPG]

Post by Dr_Obvious »

Dee wrote:p.s. Dr_Obvious gets his own city :?
Tank you for agnoliging it :D (bad spelling derp :P)
And for the record, there MUST be an awesome nation called Application Nation (App Nat for short)...just sayin
Is this a signature, OR A HUGE CHEESY TACO :D

rbos

Post by rbos »

So I'm pretty close to setting up a second server - the hardware is ready, and I want to take in some beta testers soon.

Since this will be an actual *game*, we'll need rules and winning conditions. It'll reset regularly (the end of every month, say) and a winner faction will be declared. You'll have to survive, and grow the largest town.

To start with, I'd like to try resetting it at the end of every month. Everyone starts from scratch. This lets us change the game and try different things every month.

* No one gets /item, even admins. Mods get /ban, /kick, and the ability to inspect inventories. Spawning and duping will be dealt with harshly - if you have more diamond than the stats page shows you as having mined, Questions Will Be Asked.
* Towny mod. Anyone can start a town, or a nation. Largest nation at the end wins?
* iConomy money mod, with shops enabled, auctions/lottery disabled.
* Chat mod, with global chat disabled. You can only join your faction's chat.
* Server will be restricted to spawn +/- 1 kilometer (adjust later if we get more people). I want little enough space that people feel a little competitive for territory, and factions actively want to recruit.
* Fire and lava enabled, but mods+ will get the ability to clean it up with /ex (tinguisher).

Questions: How should combat work? How do we determine a winner? Combat will have to wait on Notch, I think - the combatPVP addon is flaky at best and awful at worst.

How should towns be invaded/conquered?

Beta phase will begin as soon as I set up the software, probably by this weekend. Suggestions (with practical ideas for implementation) are welcome.
unclechoo

Post by unclechoo »

Maybe different areas in the map could have more of one type of recourse then others? This would promote transportation of materials in between towns.
rbos

Post by rbos »

perhaps some kind of moderator-mediated town capture mechanism, where mods decide "you've been conquered" based on rules of some kind. Ugly, though, and labour-intensive.
Zaneo

Post by Zaneo »

Each nation will have a designated "stockpile" area, at the end of each month before server is reset theses stockpile areas will be locked by the admins and counted. All the block will have predetermined values based on their rarity/attainability. To spice things up, a number of blocks could be selected to not count that month. e.g. Gold blocks don't count towards total score. On the other hand you will also have something like if you have at least 5 red mushrooms then you get 20 points bonus. All nations would be free to trade/pillage each others stockpiles, although a ctf style mod may be needed to allow players to "tag" the other team if they are in your restricted area. This would send them back to their nation. You could then deny entry of that nation to your resources, paths, structures until they pay a fine for their treason or something.

The time doesn't have to be a month, this is an arbitrary number and can be changed. I might have missed something so I reserve the right to edit it in.

~EDIT1<1289924400>~

1-4 unobtainable items could be placed in the town, and if all 1-4 of them are removed that town is considered conquered.
"That line you read, of course is mine, however, read so badly, it sounds like yours" -- Roman Noble
Dee

Post by Dee »

As i am here this weekend, i am willing to volunteer for the beta testing. If you need any help that is. otherwise, fine with me.
and i agree PvP is really bad atm. most likely will have to wait for notch to make PvP in SMP. until then, winners could be decided by Wealth?
also one question I have is:

If no one from "NarniaTown" is online, could you still steal from them? Just curious and trying to help out. thanks
-Dee

P.S Forum= over 1000 POSTS CELEBRATION? :D
Dr_Obvious

Post by Dr_Obvious »

I cool for beta testing, depending what is planned this weekend (i have no notifications of what happens :P) But there should be a rule regulating stealing or something because it seems just too easy to get items that way. Other than that i have no comments although i might disagree to some rules, but ill wait to see how thay go.
Is this a signature, OR A HUGE CHEESY TACO :D

jlcresp

Post by jlcresp »

I probably won't have my new computer for a week or two, so I may not be able to help test in the first match, though subsequent matches I'd be more than happy to help.
bill753

Post by bill753 »

If we do the 'there's 4 unobtainable items you have to get' idea, that could work. Then it's a race to build the best defences, which could be fun. Over the first few resets, we could always try a few different game modes (as it were). It'd be hard to define the rules though. Do we make it so the opponents aren't able to edit and place blocks in their enemies' lands? This would hugely reduce the effectiveness of all but a few forms of defence, reducing possibilities and restricting creativity. But then, it'd make it pretty difficult to make it work properly - people would have to design defences that can be conquered without editing blocks but that are still challenging.

Some kind of weapon to use against the enemy would be good. Like, for example, TNT. Except it would have to have a significantly reduced blast radius and be extremely difficult to obtain. Then, a lot of planning would have to be done in order to launch an effective attack.