Gold Currency Suggest

Stuff I could do better as an admin. Be specific, include links to instructions if possible.
jojinator97

Gold Currency Suggest

Post by jojinator97 »

The way i see the currency system now is... a horrible sloppy pile of dog doo....... no offense rbos there are better mods for this.

Im looking into one right now that you need to get these :gold: (:0) then turn them into the mods :mobpig: (er... not mobs! XD) to be transfered to coins..... rbos you could do this by starting everyone with 10 coins and getting rid of acquiration rates where you get gold based on log time.... this work for money would involve in a higher value coin and a more "balanced" form of currency.....

heres a little thingy i made to be clear, ahem,

:diamond: = 25 coins
:gold: = 10 coins
:iron: = 1 coin

hope you use mah idea.... also blocks would be one-hundred times the number so

:diamondblock: = 250
:gold: (block) = 100
:iron: (block) = 20

so..... uhmm..... hope ya use mah idea!
Last edited by jojinator97 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jojinator97

Re: Gold Currency Suggest

Post by jojinator97 »

also, you could make shops (only AFTER the auctions become local...... i couldnt imagine 10 shops all doing different people in global chat... :3)
jlcresp

Post by jlcresp »

mmm... I see a problem with your prices. First off, and its 7am here in Australia and I havnt had a coffee yet so Ill keep it short, the prices for the blocks are far to inflated. Blocks consist of 9 of the ore etc... However they do use 1 far less space in your inventory comparable to their ore (8x less) and I think that warrants a 10 fold increase rather than 100. It would be a thing similar to logs being worth more than a comparable amount of planks/sticks because they are less developed (more paths for crafting) and use less space.

I might post some more laters, I need caffeine.

~jlc
bill753

Post by bill753 »

Those gold-diamond-iron value relationships are all out. Diamond is worth a lot more than 25 iron; it will do even more so when tools aren't indestructible.
rbos

Post by rbos »

Ideally I want player-determined pricing, not set prices. Prices should fluctuate according to supply and demand. I really like the auction idea.

There has to be a way for money to enter the economy, and for money to leave the economy, so as to balance inflation, and prevent money from accumulating in bank accounts.
jlcresp

Post by jlcresp »

So would my ideas with MNTC still be a valid way of determining reasonable prices for auctions?
rbos

Post by rbos »

What idea do you have besides "make a building for trading"?

Suggestions on how to fairly set pricing are more than welcome.
ummwat

Post by ummwat »

Shouldn't the blocks be just 9x the value, not 100?

:diamond: :diamond: :diamond:
_________

:diamondblock:
OMFG ^

ummwat - obstacle course master, owner of MineCity, internet thousand-are, novylen moderator
nicomallo

Post by nicomallo »

rbos wrote:There has to be a way for money to enter the economy
Tying the dollar to gold would certainly solve this problem. Tying anything else would create more problems though.

As for managing inflation.... It would be kinda fun just to let us try and find our own way to do it. The MNTC could have it as one of their duties (throwing gold into lava to prevent a market crash anyone???).
jlcresp

Post by jlcresp »

The problem with linking it to a resource in game at this stage is the ease at which things can be duplicated. If duplication can be stopped, then we could theoretically have a real-world styled functioning economy based around a certain resource. However, if there was a mod, or notch decided to put it into vanilla, that would allow nations, like from towny, or cities/towns to print their own money.... Well, you get the idea. It would need to be strictly regulated as it would be basically creating a new resource type. Would probably need to be only available to the king/ruler of a nation/city to "print" money.

Basically, the monetary systems of the world are all heavily bartering dependent, its just that we have all decided that something of no inherent value of its own accord is to be prescribed a certain value and that value is to be upheld by the community. This something, money, is not worth anything but we have established it as an "intermediary" between the bartering of 2 or more goods/services.

This is basically what currency is. Short of using something like iConomy, unless duplicating can be prevented, there is no way of implementing a currency system effectively.

If we can avoid duplication, then the economy will take care of itself. Eg... we can mine some more gold to put more into the economy. But at this stage, with no fix for duplication in the immediate future, there must be a way of externally moderating the economy. Our best bet at this stage, using iConomy, is to simply allow players to sell items to the store in order to introduce funds to the economy.

I've been considering a rating system for items, which could be implemented by a governing body such as the MNTC. This system would rate resources based on their usefulness, storage size, inherent value, and rarity. The combination of these, and other values, would provide a basis for ranking the items in terms of cost. Though, as in real world markets, the value of each item can, and should, fluctuate depending on a variety of factors, but most notably, supply/demand. Though, all things being equal, a fair trade would be within 10% +/- of the base value of the item.

Additionally, depending on the scope of the MNTC's powers, the MNTC could function as a sort of "bank" and acting as an intermediary between trades, quite similarly to iConomy, with the exception that new resources never really enter the economy. Currently, if you purchase a resource through the iConomy shop, it is a new resource being created within the game. No-one had to find it and sell it for you to buy it. However, if the MNTC acted in this capacity, new resources would never leave or be introduced into the server, with the obvious exception of map expansion. That said, items would freely enter, and exit, the economy through mining, agriculture etc.. and the placing and usage of blocks.

I'm only beginning to learn Java, I primarily use PHP, but if I knew Java sufficiently, I could perhaps write an addon that would automate the economy with functions such as not selling an item that hasn't first been sold to the the plugin etc... I might look into it, but I dare say that rbos is far more experienced, and most other people, that I am. I'm only 20 and just starting out with Java. Perhaps it is something more suited for a suggestions post on another developer's forums.