Gold Currency Suggest

Stuff I could do better as an admin. Be specific, include links to instructions if possible.
Epsilon

Re: Gold Currency Suggest

Post by Epsilon »

Well said. I think that's a great idea.
jojinator97

Post by jojinator97 »

jlcresp wrote:mmm... I see a problem with your prices. First off, and its 7am here in Australia and I havnt had a coffee yet so Ill keep it short, the prices for the blocks are far to inflated. Blocks consist of 9 of the ore etc... However they do use 1 far less space in your inventory comparable to their ore (8x less) and I think that warrants a 10 fold increase rather than 100. It would be a thing similar to logs being worth more than a comparable amount of planks/sticks because they are less developed (more paths for crafting) and use less space.

I might post some more laters, I need caffeine.

~jlc

oops... i messed up...... block prices fixed now! they are each about 10-25 more than 9 of the block of what they are

also, this should only be after duping is fixed
jojinator97

Post by jojinator97 »

jlcresp wrote:The problem with linking it to a resource in game at this stage is the ease at which things can be duplicated. If duplication can be stopped, then we could theoretically have a real-world styled functioning economy based around a certain resource. However, if there was a mod, or notch decided to put it into vanilla, that would allow nations, like from towny, or cities/towns to print their own money.... Well, you get the idea. It would need to be strictly regulated as it would be basically creating a new resource type. Would probably need to be only available to the king/ruler of a nation/city to "print" money.

Basically, the monetary systems of the world are all heavily bartering dependent, its just that we have all decided that something of no inherent value of its own accord is to be prescribed a certain value and that value is to be upheld by the community. This something, money, is not worth anything but we have established it as an "intermediary" between the bartering of 2 or more goods/services.

This is basically what currency is. Short of using something like iConomy, unless duplicating can be prevented, there is no way of implementing a currency system effectively.

If we can avoid duplication, then the economy will take care of itself. Eg... we can mine some more gold to put more into the economy. But at this stage, with no fix for duplication in the immediate future, there must be a way of externally moderating the economy. Our best bet at this stage, using iConomy, is to simply allow players to sell items to the store in order to introduce funds to the economy.

I've been considering a rating system for items, which could be implemented by a governing body such as the MNTC. This system would rate resources based on their usefulness, storage size, inherent value, and rarity. The combination of these, and other values, would provide a basis for ranking the items in terms of cost. Though, as in real world markets, the value of each item can, and should, fluctuate depending on a variety of factors, but most notably, supply/demand. Though, all things being equal, a fair trade would be within 10% +/- of the base value of the item.

Additionally, depending on the scope of the MNTC's powers, the MNTC could function as a sort of "bank" and acting as an intermediary between trades, quite similarly to iConomy, with the exception that new resources never really enter the economy. Currently, if you purchase a resource through the iConomy shop, it is a new resource being created within the game. No-one had to find it and sell it for you to buy it. However, if the MNTC acted in this capacity, new resources would never leave or be introduced into the server, with the obvious exception of map expansion. That said, items would freely enter, and exit, the economy through mining, agriculture etc.. and the placing and usage of blocks.

I'm only beginning to learn Java, I primarily use PHP, but if I knew Java sufficiently, I could perhaps write an addon that would automate the economy with functions such as not selling an item that hasn't first been sold to the the plugin etc... I might look into it, but I dare say that rbos is far more experienced, and most other people, that I am. I'm only 20 and just starting out with Java. Perhaps it is something more suited for a suggestions post on another developer's forums.

fixed this to my other reply to you...... btw i know a server who does this.... i visit them often because they require you to have gold for a lot of stuff...... the main reason is shops and buying the protective zone for towns.... it rocks a lot!

also the coins would be like they are, but with shops and private payments instead of auctions!

much less auction spam! lol!
jojinator97

Post by jojinator97 »

rbos wrote:Ideally I want player-determined pricing, not set prices. Prices should fluctuate according to supply and demand. I really like the auction idea.

There has to be a way for money to enter the economy, and for money to leave the economy, so as to balance inflation, and prevent money from accumulating in bank accounts.

server 10% tax...... and we could always make it so when you die you lose money... also this will be AFTER duping is fixed so no-one cheats it in!

problems solved!
jojinator97

Post by jojinator97 »

hello rbos, how about you make a poll for this?