WE CAN DO THIS! [New city, but this one is different.]

Stuff I could do better as an admin. Be specific, include links to instructions if possible.

Would you participate if an event like stated were to occur?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:07 pm

HELL YEAH!
55%
NO WAY!
No votes
waiting to see how the cookie crumbles.
45%

Total votes: 11

Dee

Re: WE CAN DO THIS! [New city, but this one is different.]

Post by Dee »

jlcresp wrote:I think it could work, however the problem is that cities built by multiple people are usually very ad-hoc and haphazard in styles, construction materials, and layout.

We could pull it off, but BEFORE any form of construction starts, we need to work out strict rules that WILL be followed and enforced. There must be NO deviation from the design plan. The parts of MNTC that I have constructed/supervised adhere to a VERY strict design plan.''

If we do start a project like this I propose the following rules:

1: A standard size room is 8x8 internally - I've found that this is a very reasonable design size. This also means that the footprint of a standard size room is 10x10 inclusive of walls. We could have it so that 2 rooms next to each other share a wall, or that they have a basic footprint of 10x10 each and would have a 2-block wall between them. Personally, I favor sharing a wall. This makes the footprint for 2 standard size rooms next to each other 10x19. The formula to work out the distance to lay a floor is [ (n * 9) + 1 ] where n = number of rooms next to each other in a given direction.

2: Level heights are 3 blocks internally, 4 including the ceiling.

3: For above ground structures, built at sea level, the floor will be at y=63, which is level with the first row of water - To make it simple, its the height that you can get out of water at, where the block is basically underwater except for the very top. You can check the height by typing /getpos in chat. This also means that when you stand on the floor of the new structure y=64.

4: There shall be no "floor/ceiling" layers that are on levels that are not designated as able to hold a floor/ceiling layer - In keeping with rule 3, to work out if you can place a block down as a floor/ceiling, stand where you want to place it and type /getpos in chat. If (y + 1) % 4 = 0 then you can place a block. For those non-mathematically minded people: get the value of y, add 1 to it and if it can be equally divided by 4, you can place a floor/ceiling on that layer. A run on from this is that the absolute highest position that a ceiling can be placed on is y=127 which is 1 level below the world ceiling. The lowest a floor can be place is y=3 which is just high enough to ensure that we can avoid adminium. This also allows for a possible 31 levels of construction.

5: Cobblestone shall only be used at and below y=63 - Basically, cobble can only be used underground.

6: Above-ground buildings shall be made of timber and stone, all windows must be filled with glass, and all above-ground doors shall be timber.

7: The city shall be laid out in a grid like fashion with a town square providing a centrepoint for developments.

8: City block sizes shall be 4x4 standard size rooms - Each block will have a footprint of 37x37 = 1,369 squares.

9: Main highways shall be 8 blocks wide - This allows us a road width of 6 blocks with a border block. We can then use it as a walkway, and a railway.

10: All other roads shall be 4 blocks wide - This allows us a road width of 2 blocks with a border block. These will be used only as a walkway.

11: Between each city block, there shall be a road - For ease of getting around.

12: Main highways shall only be built in 4 directions going directly out of from the town centre North, East, South and West.

13: Structures shall be built redundantly and safely - If any of our plugins fail, the building must still be usable; Don't just rely on elevators to change levels, you must also have a staircase or ladder. Wood stairs would probably be best. Also, the structure should be constructed in a way that does not allow people to fall and get hurt.

14: The town centre shall be 1 standard city block wide and will consist of a garden used as a common meeting place.

15: There shall be a clear distinction between the commercial, residential, industrial and agricultural areas - The four quadrants, as laid out by the main highways, shall be used as commercial, residential and industrial areas. Residential areas will occupy 2 quadrants - situated diagonally opposite each other. Agricultural areas will occur on the outskirts of town - aside from small private farming and/or smaller greenhouses.

16: As the town expands, city blocks take preference over agricultural areas - Farms must move to make way for the city to expand. This reflects real life, but no farm is to be moved without official council support.

17: Structures must be built, within reasonable variation, to a similar height as those around it - This ensures that we don't get a massive skyscraper in the middle of the residential area where everyone else has a 3 story house.

18: Roads shall be named and signed, and house lots shall be numbered - This ensures that it is easy for us to navigate around the area.

19: Road names shall follow a scheme devised by the council and shall reflect a common theme - The theme may be changed for various areas.

20: Roads shall be well lit, and well signed to aid in navigation.

This is just some suggested rules, and if you guys think of any others, or would like to comment this, please do so as this would be a community project.

This list is not comprehensive and more can be added or some subtracted.
Couldn't read through entire thing. (in school) but so far i like it. we need a location though. and we should wait until the server (if it hasn't already) be updated. (so no fire etc.) also, i fixed the typos and stuff.(in original post) Happy to see no one has said "No" yet :)
Last edited by Dee on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebilruler

Post by Ebilruler »

If we follow Jlc's rules I will fully back this.
ummwat

Post by ummwat »

Imaginary friends??? :shock:
OMFG ^

ummwat - obstacle course master, owner of MineCity, internet thousand-are, novylen moderator
Ebilruler

Post by Ebilruler »

ummwat wrote:Imaginary friends??? :shock:
Wait are NPC's still enabled on the other server?
bill753

Post by bill753 »

Jlcresp, start a new city and lay down the rules, looks like you're the boss.