Tragic Minecraft Tales

For things that are high ... wait for it .. LARIOUS.
AwEsUm

Tragic Minecraft Tales

Post by AwEsUm »

So today I was playing Single Player mode on Minecraft Alpha (http://minecraft.net, purchase necessary for Alpha), mining certain materials far away from where I started the game, delving deep when I came across a lucky find: Diamonds! Diamonds are one of the rarest materials in this game that you can separate from its ore by crushing with a pick axe, and I had the lucky chance to collect about 5-7 diamonds! Above that, I got some Gold Ore (Second rarest), Redstone (Third rarest) and plenty of Iron Ore (Rareness unknown…?). All these materials, combined with some helpful items, made for a pretty good inventory. As I continued to dig deeper and mine more materials, I decided to waste my last sticks to make "torches" with redstone for light-sources, since caves prove to be VERY dark. This was a bad idea, as Redstone torches give off about as much light as a band-aid. With sticks wasted, I pondered what I could do, for I was hopeless. My crafting table (item used for making complex and complicated items, such as pick-axes, furnaces, etc.) and Furnace (currently separating Iron from its Ore) were left back a long way's away, and I had nothing, LITERALLY NOTHING, to make light with. Although, Lava, a very common fluid in caves, gives off much light, and I had a bucket (implement for transporting lava and water safely and efficiently) in my inventory (only 1). So, with the use of cobblestone, a basic block (to keep lava from flowing freely and burning me), and a LOT of trips with the bucket, I was able to get a pretty decent distance with plenty of light, until I was getting fairly far below the surface, and away from other light sources. I started to let lava flow freely to provide more light (since it takes only one lava bucket to fill a room with lava, to a certain distance), and found my sixth and seventh diamond! The place where I found the diamonds was a dead-end, so I started heading back up, and began to dig where the second half of the lava was flowing. Being in a certain difficulty (Peaceful), I am able to regenerate health, and wasn't afraid to touch lava, since being on fire depletes health at the same rate you regenerate health. However, it didn't occur to me that being in lava also hurts you, but I knowingly jumped into the flowing lava to clear some room so I could continue traveling downward in search of more materials. This was obviously a bad idea, since I ended up trapping myself in a small hole filled with lava. Needing to place a cobblestone, I needed to be clear of the area I was placing it, but there was no way to jump out of the lava and place the cobblestone in any way… I slowly burned to my death. Now, as interesting as this story was, one thing that happens when you die is you DROP all your inventory… and anything dropped in LAVA is incinerated… So in one fellow swoop of death, I respawned BACK where I started the game (Miles away from where I was mining), lost ALL my inventory (including my rare materials like diamond), and had NOTHING. I stared at my screen for about 2 minutes with my hands clutched over my mouth in horror. All my hard effort and Robinson Crusoe-like actions to mine with very little materials and tools, wasted in a matter of seconds… Overall, it was about 3 hours.

What are some of your tragic tales in Minecraft? Post them here!
Castle in the SkyThe Great Tree
ummwat

Re: Tragic Minecraft Tales

Post by ummwat »

That's nothing. I had been playing a single player save file for a month and I had tons of stuff, and all my hard work was put into creating a gigantic town taking up an entire island. I also mined a whole stack of :diamondblock: , and tons (TONS) of :gold: , :coal: , and :iron: . I was proud of what I did, at least until somehow that entire save file went missing, and I couldn't find the file in the Minecraft files in AppData anywhere. :(
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
OMFG ^

ummwat - obstacle course master, owner of MineCity, internet thousand-are, novylen moderator
Tiel424

Post by Tiel424 »

With a grimace, the determined builder hacked away at the stone with his iron pickaxe. The rock gave way and he collected a portion of it, gluing the pieces together with clay and other various adherents lying around. Without a thought, he tucked the block of cobblestone in the item sack and wiped his brow with his camouflaged sleeve.

So far, he had little luck finding coal. That was the entire purpose. Without coal, Tiel could not make torches. Without torches, the infidels would appear in his home. Thus far Tiel had dug down 30 blocks, at a 15 degree angle. He had not found anything except stone, stone, and stone. There was the occasional iron ore, but it was very minimal - He had only managed to obtain 3 so far.

No sooner had he broken the next unfortunate stone than the mine opened to reveal a bright light. Tiel shielded his eyes and glanced over his arm. A field of lava covered the cave he had stumbled upon. It was but a 4x4 irregular hollow shape the ground, but it was a cave, nevertheless. He gazed down at the stone he had just wrecked. Portions of it slowly sunk into the fiery lava, becoming part of it. He heard a light sizzling noise as the unlucky rock became one with the lava.

Tiel surveyed the indifferent lava before the situation occurred to him. This fluid could be used for light! He eagerly dug and built a bridge above the sea of lava that stood 4 blocks above the inferno. As he finished the last block of his platform with a convenient bottle of super glue he had concocted, he heard a deep SSSSSSSSSSSSS. Tiel's heart stopped as he whizzed around. Standing before him was a 5 foot behemoth.

It's earthen green skin contrasted deeply with the bright orange molten stone covering the bottom of the pit. The sunken eyes at the head looked at him with a sad expression. The creeper stood on four legs, and it's abdomen looked as if it were pasted on a failed pig attempt. Beads of fluid dripped from the sides of it's head, dropping to the lava, creating harsh cracking noises. It stood there, panting.

Tiel overcame his shock and drew his stone sword. He could've sworn he saw a hint of loneliness and sorrow in the creepers eyes as he did so. Even if it had, the creeper realized the threat and charged at him. He sidestepped the move and striked the creeper at the right side of it's torso. The cold stone dug into the flesh of the animal and tasted it's blood. The creeper yelped in pain, but once again dove at Tiel. He tried to block the maneuver, but the creeper's momentum knocked them onto the obsidian coast below. He landed on top of the animal, and it seems to impact and wound combination had tired the beast.

As Tiel prepared to make the killing blow, blue green eyes fluttered open on the creature's face. He looked at it, stunned.

"Hello." It said in a feminine voice.

Tiel's jaw dropped. How could a creeper speak, let alone be a female?

They stared at each other for a while before the creeper stood up and shoved his weight off her by standing up.

"A bit rude, don't you think?" She said absentmindedly, as if speaking to an invisible person. Blood had coagulated the creepers wounds, stopping the flow of blood.

"I-" Tiel tried to sputter out, but his mouth failed him.

"Not much of a talker are you?"

"You just tried to kill me!"

"Correction: You tried to kill me. I was defending myself."

Tiel gripped his head, were he just noticed a thin cut had appeared. "Why did you come here in the first place?!"

"Maybe because I was tired of talking to zombies? They aren't to good at social skills, all they do is gurgle in reply. Very rude."

"But you-"

"Enough." She cut him off.

":("

"I just want to see what you're doing here."

"Or I could just kill you. That's always an option."

"And I could blow up, that's also an option."

Tiel grimaced at the thought that he was being beaten in an argument by a creature that he didn't know spoke until now.

"Ok.." He said relucantly, "This is what I'm going to use for lighting," he muttered, pointing at the magma.

The creeper scuttled to the edge of the obsidian coast, taking care not to fall in.

"I see."

Tiel placed a few blocks to his bridge, creating makeshift stairs. He jumped back up, and grabbed a bucket from the bag he had dropped earlier. Looking up, he saw the hole the creeper had dug. So that's how she got in. He pulled a few blocks of cobblestone from the bag as well and adhered them to the dirt above. Taking up the bucket, Tiel went to the obsidian shore and scooped up some of the molten rock. He made sure not to touch the main part of the bucket, using the wet wooden handles instead. Tanya(As she called herself) followed him up the long stairwell to the shack he called home. She peered into several outgoing tunnels curiously, but made sure not to lose sight of Tiel. Eventually they emerged into the sodden wooden house, and Tiel went over to grab some items from a wooden chest at the far end of the dirt floor.

Tanya peeked out at the starry night. Which was good, because he was busy. After grabbing some pieces of glass from the cabinet he sat on a bench in the kitchen and looked longingly at the sky. After several hours, the sun paid them a visit. It's warm essence filled the house, leaving light in it's wake. Tiel opened the doorway from the kitchen and looked around outside. Firstly, he set to work removing some dirt and replacing it with stone.

"Do you need any help?" Tanya said from below.

"No, I'm fine."

Tiel went back to work. By noon, he had constructed a nice 17x17 stone wall around his house. An odd smell filled the air. No, it wasn't odd...it smelled like ham. And it was coming from inside. He subconsciously drifted into the kitchen and saw Tanya glazing a piece of pork with brown sugar. He didn't object. Tiel drooled at the table as he saw the end result. Once she laid the platter on the wood he dug into the animal flesh, taking a sip of apple cider as he did so. Tanya did her fair share of eating too, and they each ended up eating half the loaf.

"You're a big eater." She mumbled.

"Likewise."

Later that day, Tiel set about making artificial lighting with the lava he had collected. He carefully placed several blocks of glass in a 3x3 formation at corner of the house. He then took out the bucket of molten stone and poured it in through an empty hole. Once he did so he realized the fatal error. The lava flowed out of the hole freely and burnt the wooden floor...and Tiel's toes.

"Get out!" He yelled to Tanya, who was sitting in a couch. She quickly complied.

Now he had to fix this mess. Using stone blocks, he attempted to halt the flow. Even as he did, the inferno spread to encompass the entire floor. Portions of the roof became burning as well. Tiel mentally slapped himself for making such a stupid mistake. He tried again, but a wiplash of lava sent him toppling over onto the lava covered and burning floor. He stumbled up, but the lava had set his clothing aflame. Now of course, he couldn't exactly Stop drop and roll could he? He threw off the offending clothes and blushed as he realized Tanya was still looking inside. Here he was, standing butt naked in lava. Sounds worst than the bachelors party.

He tried to keep up with the flow of lava but somehow it multiplied, going up to his hips. Ouch. Tiel surged forward until he tripped over a large piece of stone that was sitting on the floor. He fell over and his whole body became aflame.

"Tiel!" Tanya yelled from outside. He screamed one last cry of anguish before everything went black.
Last edited by Tiel424 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After all is said and built, more is said than built.
Do not count your glass blocks before they are smelted.
Dr_Obvious

Post by Dr_Obvious »

wow...i suck at writing...but i know how to critisize...one, NEVER EVER IN YOUR WHOLE LIFE PUT "THE END" AT THE END OF A PEICE OF WRITING (there is one simple reason for this... IF its a good peice of writing, like this one, the reader will know thats its the end. If you have to specify that this is "the end" than its not a good peice...). Two, I'm amazed at the detail that you put in this. and Three, always make sure you have a safe place to put ur lava before placing it. xD
Is this a signature, OR A HUGE CHEESY TACO :D

Tiel424

Post by Tiel424 »

Dr_Obvious wrote:wow...i suck at writing...but i know how to critisize...one, NEVER EVER IN YOUR WHOLE LIFE PUT "THE END" AT THE END OF A PEICE OF WRITING (there is one simple reason for this... IF its a good peice of writing, like this one, the reader will know thats its the end. If you have to specify that this is "the end" than its not a good peice...). Two, I'm amazed at the detail that you put in this. and Three, always make sure you have a safe place to put ur lava before placing it. xD
I thnk I will make a sequel :approve:
AwEsUm

Post by AwEsUm »

Tiel424 wrote:
Dr_Obvious wrote:wow...i suck at writing...but i know how to critisize...one, NEVER EVER IN YOUR WHOLE LIFE PUT "THE END" AT THE END OF A PEICE OF WRITING (there is one simple reason for this... IF its a good peice of writing, like this one, the reader will know thats its the end. If you have to specify that this is "the end" than its not a good peice...). Two, I'm amazed at the detail that you put in this. and Three, always make sure you have a safe place to put ur lava before placing it. xD
That was marvelous ;-; <3
Castle in the SkyThe Great Tree
Dr_Obvious

Post by Dr_Obvious »

AwEsUm wrote:
Tiel424 wrote:
That was marvelous ;-; <3
agreed
Is this a signature, OR A HUGE CHEESY TACO :D

Tiel424

Post by Tiel424 »

Thanks. Though I may have used up all the writing in my brain and I have to write a novel for class :mobnotch:
Ebilruler

Post by Ebilruler »

Woah that was awesome!